Some hyperlinks beneath could also be affiliate hyperlinks which implies that you don’t pay anymore, nevertheless, a small fee will go to this web site.
What are the totally different Cricut blades?
To begin with, what are the totally different Cricut blades? What are they used for? What machines are they suitable with? Here’s a rundown of all the blades.
- Premium nice level blade – For skinny to medium-weight supplies on each the Cricut Discover Air 2 and the Cricut Maker. Use this blade for paper, cardstock, posterboard, iron-on, vinyl, and a lot extra. This blade is proven within the picture above in silver however is now a rose gold coloration. You can too use this one for bonded material however could need to look into the bonded material blade beneath with a purpose to maintain it as sharp as attainable.
- Bonded material blade – That is simply the premium nice level blade above in a pink housing. Why? Similar to you desire a totally different pair of scissors to chop material, chances are you’ll need to separate your blades as nicely. That is just for use with material that has a backer added and can be utilized on each the Cricut Discover Air 2 and the Cricut Maker. There may be really not one among these blades pictured within the picture above.
- Deep level blade – This blade has a steeper angle (60 levels vs 45 levels for the opposite nice level blades) and more durable, extra sturdy metal. Do this on thicker supplies like magnet, chipboard, stamp materials, thick cardstock, stiff felt, foam sheets, cardboard, and a lot extra. These are black in coloration and may be seen within the picture above. It may be used on each the Cricut Discover Air 2 and the Cricut Maker
- Rotary blade – Can use solely with the Cricut Maker and it’s the final software for slicing any material (no backer required). You can too use this blade with different mushy, delicate, or less-dense supplies, equivalent to tissue paper and cork. I frankly love my rotary blade for thus many supplies. The advice for picture dimension is 3/4″ or bigger when utilizing the rotary blade. Smaller photos than this may increasingly trigger the blade to scrape because it tries to make a small flip, which can depart a gouge in your mat, and will diminish the lifetime of the blade. You may really see extra about this blade right here.
- Knife blade – Go even deeper! The additional-deep knife blade slices by way of dense supplies as much as 3/32” thick with unprecedented ease and security. It’s excellent for cuts of reasonable element in thicker supplies like balsa wooden, mat board, and chipboard. It is just to be used with the Cricut Maker and you will want to run a calibration earlier than use. You may really see extra about this blade right here.
- Scoring wheel – This isn’t a blade per se but it surely does go within the blade clamp on the Cricut Maker. For scoring solely and comes with a single and double scoring wheel. You may see extra about it right here and the way it compares with the scoring stylus.
Please word that I’ve a hyperlink to the blades with the housings above however all of those come as alternative blades that you would be able to change out as nicely. So, maintain the identical housing and save a bit of cash. You will discover alternative blades for all the above right here.
When to Exchange Cricut Blades
Now let’s get right down to it! How have you learnt when to interchange your Cricut blades? Listed below are just a few tips it is best to go by:
- Do it’s a must to enhance the strain of your cuts frequently? At all times utilizing “extra” strain or turning your dial up a notch? Your blade might be carrying down. You may anticipate it to worsen however you would possibly need to go forward and order spares at this level so you have got them readily available.
- As soon as your cuts get to the place they aren’t fully clear, it truly is time for a brand new blade. As soon as once more, if you wish to avoid wasting cash, you would possibly get a bit extra life out of the blade. However at this level, the uninteresting blade is costing you time. You’ll have extra time in weeding or utilizing a handbook blade to complete your cuts.
- In case your materials is dragging as a substitute of slicing, the blade is finished! This normally occurs on cardstock and vinyl. The fabric will tear and wad up as a substitute of slicing. There may be not a lot you are able to do at this level! A brand new blade is unquestionably so as!
The purpose you modify your blade is totally as much as you. The rules above are simply that – tips! As soon as you employ your machine for many cuts, you’ll get a really feel for when the blade is prepared for a change.
NOTE: On the rotary blade, typically the blade will get a nick. Whether it is lacking the cuts often, you have got a nick and the blade will must be modified.
NOTE: The scoring wheel will final a extremely, actually very long time. It ought to actually by no means must be modified until you’re doing a ton of scoring.
Easy methods to Prolong the Lifetime of Your Cricut Blades
So, how do you lower your expenses on the subject of your blades? Sure, it is best to know when to interchange your Cricut blades, however what are you able to do to increase the time in between modifications? Listed below are just a few suggestions and methods:
- Handle your blades. Retailer them correctly. The knife blade comes with a protecting cowl that ought to at all times be in place when not in use. The others ought to be saved the place they won’t land on something arduous to break the ideas.
- Slicing plenty of totally different supplies will uninteresting your blades quicker. So, if you wish to have only a blade for cardstock and one for bonded material, you’ll lengthen the blade life.
- Attempt a brand new mat earlier than altering the blade. This typically is the difficulty as a substitute of your blade.
- Comply with the suggestions for the lower sizes on the rotary and knife blade for optimum life.
How lengthy do the Cricut blades final?
That is all dependant on you and what sort of crafter you’re. Do you narrow a ton of various supplies? Experiment with odd and arduous supplies? Your blades will most likely have a shorter life. However, when you solely lower vinyl in your machine, likelihood is you’ll get a extremely lengthy blade life. Both means, you’ll begin to get a really feel for a way lengthy a blade lasts you after utilizing your Cricut for some time.
So, when to interchange blades in your Cricut machine? That each one is dependent upon what sort of crafter you’re and the way you employ your machine. Both means, it is best to discover the rules on this put up useful when studying to make use of your machine.
Success! Now test your electronic mail to obtain your copy of the information!